Author Notes: This simple calamari dish is fast and delicious to cook up. It can be served as an appetizer, mixed with green as a salad or served with rice as a main course. Squid doesn't have a whole lot of flavor in its own, the marinade and the sauce play an important role in enchancing it's original sweetness. The key to a tenderness texture is to cook briefly over high heat so that it will not become rubbery. - angelcafe
Creamed corn and shittake mushroom sauce
- 3 ears of yellow corn
- 3 ounces shittake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup poultry stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- While the duck is cooking, prepare the sauce. Remove the kernels from the corn, reserve half a cup of the kernels.
- Put the rest of the kernels into a blender,add 1 tablespoon of water and puree.
- Strain the puree through a strainer. You should have 1/4 cup of corn juice.
- To cook the remaining kernels, bring a pot of salted water to boil and gently boil the kernels for 2 minutes until tender. Remove and immediately put them into a ice-water bath. Transfer to a paper towel and gently pat to dry and dice them.
- In a skillet, whisk in the corn juice until thickened. Do not allow it to boil. Once it is thickened, turn the heat to low and whisk in the butter. Add the blanched corn kernels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, soak the shittake mushrooms in warm water for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove to a paper towel and gently pat to dry. Dice the mushrooms.
- Melt the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium heat, saute the mushrooms until the liquid has evaporated. Add the stock. Reduce to sauce consistency.
- Slice the rolls into 6 equal portions. Remove the plastic wrap.
- To complete, put a spoonful of mushroom sauce in the center of each plate and top with the creamed corn. Place the roll in the center, top with the diced mushrooms and garnish with minced chives.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Squid or Octopus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For