If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Butterscotch pudding is my dad's favorite dessert. Growing up, Dad would use me and my siblings to con my mom into making butterscotch pudding for him! He'd beg each one of us kids to request it for dessert hoping our pleas would produce sweeter results!
I developed this recipe for my Dad. The thickener is gelatin instead of the usual cornstarch. I think the gelatin provides a smoother texture and is completely tasteless. Gelatin is often used to thicken Italian desserts which is why I this is a budino (Italian for pudding!) - bronwyncatena
- 1 envelope of gelatin
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- Bloom gelatin in 2 tablespoons water.
- Scald milk in a pot and set aside.
- Melt 3/4 cup brown sugar with butter over low heat in a large pot. Let bubble until dark and caramelized. Slowly whisk in warmed milk a little at a time until brown sugar mixture is dissolved and milk is hot.
- Whisk eggs with remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar. While whisking pour about 1 cup of the milk mixture into the eggs to temper. Return the egg mixture back to the large pot. Cook custard over low heat for a couple minutes but do not let boil.
- Strain mixture into a bowl and whisk in salt, whiskey, and gelatin. Cover top of custard with plastic and let cool to room temperature.
- Pour into glasses for serving. Serve only after thoroughly chilled with freshly whipped cream.
- *Brown sugar has molasses which is acidic. This acidity may cause your milk to curdle (just like lemon juice would). This is why you need to whisk in the milk slowly at the beginning of the recipe. If your milk does curdle, finish the recipe as stated. After the custard has cooled to room temperature, blend the mixture to bring it back together.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For