If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We had an embarrassment of riches in terms of roma tomatoes, and we needed something with rice to serve with tacos and black bean refried beans. Most Spanish Rice variations seem very sweet, and that just didn't fit with the two salsas we were also serving, a limey pico de gallo and cottagegourmet's other-worldly roasted tomatillo salsa (http://www.food52.com/recipes/6443_roasted_tomatillo_salsa). So we got inventive . . .
This is definitely not sweet. It has deep layers of flavor from the roasted tomatoes and scallions, and you control the heat in the final analysis. —boulangere
- 6 roma tomatoes, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 12 scallions, trimmed, greens removed and saved
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- Salt & pepper
- Canola oil
- Canola oil
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves and stems
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Additional chipotle powder as needed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, toss together tomatoes, some canola oil, chipotle powder, salt and pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Place in oven and roast for 15 minutes. While tomatoes are roasting, trim scallions of root ends and green ends. Slice green ends 1/4" dice on the bias and set aside for garnish at the end. Cut white parts of scallions into 2" lengths. In same bowl as tomatoes, toss with canola oil, salt and pepper. When timer sounds, add scallions to baking sheet of tomatoes. Roast both tomatoes and scallions for 15 minutes more. Tomatoes and scallions should be roasted to a deep, deep almost charred color. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While tomatoes and scallions are roasting, begin cooking rice. Film the bottom of a wide-bottomed pot with canola oil to 1/4" depth. When oil shimmers signifying that it's hot, add rice, garlic, cumin, and coriander. Stir to coat all grains of rice with oil and cook until garlic and spices are very fragrant. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and cook rice until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 18 minutes.
- When rice is almost done, gently stir in roasted tomatoes and scallions and any remaining juices, lime juice and cilantro. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper, and if you want to turn up the heat, additional chipotle powder. Cover pot and steam for 5 minutes more.
- Serve with tacos, with burritos, or even cool and add to a taco salad. Garnish with sliced green scallion tops.
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Burgers! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Un-junk your closet (or hide it).
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
A more carrot-y carrot cake.
Get your shine on.