Author Notes: Spatial reasoning has never been my forte. I was reminded of this after asking my husband to peel a few beets for a cake that was making a return appearance for dessert. I needed two cups of shredded beets but my guesstimation yielded something closer to four.
Confronted with this unexpected abundance, I decided to add the last three beets I had planned on roasting. Turned out to be one of my better mistakes. In less than 10 minutes, I had a terrific beet dish on the table. - jwlucas
- 1 bunch beets, trimmed and peeled
- 2-3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Using a vegetable peeler, clean beets then coarsely shred in processor or by hand.
- Warm 2 tbsp. walnut oil in skillet over medium heat. Add shredded beets and salt lightly. Cook for about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring often.
- Add chopped walnuts and stir though. Add salt, if needed, and drizzle of walnut oil to garnish before serving.