If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've taken components from some of my favorite Italian-inspired salads and side dishes and combined them in this salad. All of the ingredients seem to perfectly complement each other in flavor and texture. Eat it as is, or heap it on top of bruschetta. —TasteFood
For the vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans (or 1 16 ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 small fennel bulb, ends and fronds trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound calamari bodies and tentacles, bodies cleaned and sliced in 1/4 inch rings
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups arugula leaves, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Chopped Italian parsley leaves for garnish
- Prepare the vinaigrette: Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine the beans and fennel in a medium bowl. Pour about half of the vinaigrette over and toss to combine.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; briefly sauté until fragrant. Add calamari; sauté 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt. Transfer with a slotted spoon to the beans and mix together.
- Arrange arugula in a serving bowl or divide among 4 serving plates. Spoon beans and calamari over the arugula. Drizzle arugula with remaining vinaigrette. Garnish with Parmesan shavings and chopped parsley.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Squid or Octopus Recipe
Anything But Watered Down
Pair tomato water with pasta
Tomato water: the sauce of summer.
Butter pecan ice cream for impatient cooks.
It's time to travel.
Tomato skins, meet salt.
Put cake on a pedestal.