Author Notes: Whenever I hear the phrase "roadhouse style", I immediately think of frogs legs, breaded, flash fried and then tossed in lemon garlic parsley butter. It may be a Michigan thing because so many restaurants have it on the menu. I love simply fried calamari served with almost any kind of dipping sauce, but thought a ramped up roadhouse version might taste great.. - inpatskitchen
Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer
Garlic lemon sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1 medium tomato, seeded, cored and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- Gently saute the garlic in the olive oil until just fragrant. Don't let it brown.
- Add the butter and let it melt slowly over low heat.
- Add the tomato ,capers, parsley and lemon juice. Keep warm while preparing the squid.
For the squid
- 1 pound squid, tubes sliced in 1/2 inch rings, tentacles left whole ( or just use tubes if you like) Pat the squid dry with paper towels.
- 2/3 cups AP flour
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- peanut or vegetable oil to fill a large frying pan with about an inch of oil
- salt and pepper to taste for serving
- juice of 1/2 a lemon for serving
- In a plastic or small paper bag, combine the flours and salt and pepper.
- Add the squid and shake in the flour until well coated.
- Empty the bag of squid into a dry colander set in the sink and shake off excess flour.
- Fry the squid in hot oil, in batches if necessary, for about 3 minutes , turning them with a spider or slotted spoon about halfway through.
- Remove the fried squid to paper toweling to drain briefly. ( If doing this in batches, keep the first batch warm in a 300F oven)
- Place the squid in a serving dish, drizzle with the warm lemon garlic butter, salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze the juice of the 1/2 lemon over all. Serve immediately!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Squid or Octopus Recipe