If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Now that we are 'empty nesters" my husband recently took a job that requires him to travel and I get to tag along occasionally. While Cincinnati, Ohio, may not be on other's top travel lists, I was excited for the chance to go back to Jungle Jim's grocery store. There I spotted a beautiful dragonfruit display. I have had dragonfruit in a sorbet before, so I thought I would pick some up. The seafood station was next and I also picked up some beautiful pink shrimp.
I posted a question on foodpickle looking for ideas and did an internet search. There were a lot of fruit salad and smoothie recipes but not exactly what I wanted. I did find a recipe with an interesting combination of flavors at www.greenkitchenstories.com from the a la alkaline sisters. Here is my adaption of their fruit salad. I cut down the amount of lime juice by more than half and substituted a little flavored vinegar as well as doubled the amount of mint that they called for. Then I added the beautiful pink shrimp and avocado, and tossed it together carefully and spooned it into the fruit shells. —lorigoldsby
- 2 dragonfruits
- 24 large shrimp, boiled, chilled & large diced
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lime, zested and juice of 1/2
- 1 teaspoon lavender honey
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate vinegar
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 10 fresh mint leaves, chiffonade
- Find "flat spot" of the dragonfruit, rotate 90 degrees and slice in half. Scoop out the flesh of the fruit and cut into small cubes.
- In non-reactive bowl, mix dressing ingredients and whisk to emulsify.
- Cube avocado, and toss gently into dressing to coat, gently add shrimp and dragonfruit to mix.
- Spoon into hallowed out fruit "bowls". you may add an extra shrimp or mint leaf to the spiky part of the fruit as a garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados
Quick! Make these summery recipes while there's still time
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Let's iron things out.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
The best shots from the Food52 Baking Cookbook.
Storage made crystal clear.