Author Notes: Now that we are 'empty nesters" my husband recently took a job that requires him to travel and I get to tag along occasionally. While Cincinnati, Ohio, may not be on other's top travel lists, I was excited for the chance to go back to Jungle Jim's grocery store. There I spotted a beautiful dragonfruit display. I have had dragonfruit in a sorbet before, so I thought I would pick some up. The seafood station was next and I also picked up some beautiful pink shrimp.
I posted a question on foodpickle looking for ideas and did an internet search. There were a lot of fruit salad and smoothie recipes but not exactly what I wanted. I did find a recipe with an interesting combination of flavors at www.greenkitchenstories.com from the a la alkaline sisters. Here is my adaption of their fruit salad. I cut down the amount of lime juice by more than half and substituted a little flavored vinegar as well as doubled the amount of mint that they called for. Then I added the beautiful pink shrimp and avocado, and tossed it together carefully and spooned it into the fruit shells. - lorigoldsby
- 2 dragonfruits
- 24 large shrimp, boiled, chilled & large diced
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lime, zested and juice of 1/2
- 1 teaspoon lavender honey
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate vinegar
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 10 fresh mint leaves, chiffonade
- Find "flat spot" of the dragonfruit, rotate 90 degrees and slice in half. Scoop out the flesh of the fruit and cut into small cubes.
- In non-reactive bowl, mix dressing ingredients and whisk to emulsify.
- Cube avocado, and toss gently into dressing to coat, gently add shrimp and dragonfruit to mix.
- Spoon into hallowed out fruit "bowls". you may add an extra shrimp or mint leaf to the spiky part of the fruit as a garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados