Author Notes: Last summer I made a couple of versions of Ina Garten's Roasted Salmon Nicoise Platter when the tomatoes, green beans and lettuce were thriving. We love cold salmon and since we are having a gorgeous weekend I decided to do it again using seasonal vegetables. A little time consuming but fortunately all the parts can be prepared early and then put together just before serving. - inpatskitchen
Serves 4 to 6
For the green garlic, lemon, anchovy vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup white and light green parts of sliced green garlic in 1/2 inch pieces ( or 2cloves garlic)
- 8 flat anchovy filets
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a mini food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.
For the platter
- 1 1/2 pound boneless, skinless salmon
- 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette for roasting the salmon
- 2 pounds whole fava beans, shelled, blanched briefly ( about 2 minutes) and then shelled again
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, blanched for 1 minute
- Top 3 inches of one pound green asparagus, blanched for 2 minutes
- Top 3 inches of one pound white asparagus, blanched for 2 minutes
- 12 baby redskins, boiled until fork tender
- 12 to 15 kalamata olives
- 8 to 12 grape tomatoes
- baby romaine lettuce for lining the platter
- 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped ( optional but oh so good! )
- Brush a little olive oil on the bottom of a medium roasting pan. Lay the salmon on and drizzle and spread 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette over. Roast the salmon for 10 to 15 minutes in a pre-heated 450F oven. Cool and chill.
- After blanching the favas, asparagus and sugar snaps, cool and chill. Chill the potatoes after boiling also.
- When ready to serve, line a large platter with baby romaine and arrange the ingredients decoratively over. Drizzle with some of the vinaigrette or pass separately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe