If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A quiche I vary as the seasons change. Tomatoes in late summer and asparagus in spring. —Kitchen Butterfly
Makes a '20cm' tart
- 1 prebaked 20 cm quiche shell
- 200g green asparagus, about 6 spears, washed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100g processed mozarella (about 6-7 rounds)
- 40-50g chorizo, chopped
- 2 whole eggs
- 125g bacon bits, fried till cooked, not crisp
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh milk
- 1/4 cup single cream
- A drop or two of Angostura bitters
- 125g fresh mozarella, torn into smallish chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs (I use a combination of oregano, basil, thyme and parsley)
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and put the tart shell into a tart pan.
- Peel the stalks of asparagus, leaving the spears untouched. Then cut off the woody base, about 2-3 cm. Drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus spears and then season with salt. Rub each spear to ensure it is coated.
- Heat a griddle pan till hot and then place the spears on, turning till all sides are a touch cooked, about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool down. Then cut off the stalks but don't discard and chop the stems into 1cm pieces.
- Place the mozzarella rounds into the base of the pre-baked shell and sprinkle the chopped chorizo on top, followed by the chopped asparagus stalks and spears
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, the bacon bits, chopped shallots, milk, cream and angostura bitters. Season lightly with salt. Pour the mixture into the tart shell, over the chorizo and cheese. Then top with the chunks of fresh mozzarella and sprinkle the mixed herbs over the top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes till the pie is set and the filling is firm and the top is lightly bronzed. Allow to cool and serve with a salad, if desired
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
Take a Trip with Tropical Drinks
Cocktails to make you feel like you're on vacation
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Grilled cheese, please.
It's time to travel.
Put cake on a pedestal.