Author Notes: I love the way coffee enhances the flavor of chocolate, which is why I started doctoring up my favorite chocolate cookies with espresso powder. These cookies are not for the faint of heart, they are decadent and rich, and best accompanied with a glass of milk. - KelseyTheNaptimeChef - KelseyTheNaptimeChef
Food52 Review: Two warnings about these cookies: don't give them to young children before bedtime and don't leave them lying around (if you want any left for yourself). These cookies are crisp on the edges and chewy in the middle with pockets of soft chocolate. The espresso powder, as KelseyTheNaptimeChef notes, amplifies the chocolate, but not the sweetness, making it a grown-up cookie. When making any cookies, make sure to cream the butter really well -- this aerates the cookies and integrates the sugar -- but be conservative with your mixing once the dry ingredients are added. - A&M - A&M
Serves 50-55 cookies
- 2 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (like Medaglia D'Oro, or similar)
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Then, add eggs one at time, mixing after each addition to make sure they are well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder. I use a whisk to make sure the dry ingredients are well mixed.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix everything until the ingredients are fully combined, but do not overbeat. Using a wooden spoon, stir in chocolate chips.
- Line a baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper. Using a 1 1/2" ice-cream scoop, or rounded teaspoon, drop dough on the sheet 2" apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and serve.
- Your Best Chocolate Cookie Contest Finalist!