Author Notes: We all know and love blintzes filled with sweet ricotta and resins or with blueberries.
In our family we fill them also with cooked ground chicken or potatoes with caramelized onions, and for Special Events with caviar.
My granddaughter’s favorites are with Hazelnut Spread and strawberries.
The recipe that I present to you is my pick for this weeks contest.
You can refrigerate unfilled blintzes, stacking them between sheets of waxed paper and wrapping in plastic, and proceed with recipe when ready to fill.
- • 1 cup flour
- • 1 cup half-and-half
- • 4eggs
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- • 1 cup fresh sweet peas, or frozen
- • Vegetable oil for brushing skillet
- • 8 ounces soft goat cheese
- • 8 ounces Greek feta cheese
- • 3 egg yolks
- • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- • 1 bunch green onions, chopped fine (only the green part)
- • 1 large bag fresh baby spinach, washed and patted dry
- • 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- • 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- • Zest of 1 lemon
- Place the flour, half-and-half, eggs, salt, pepper, and butter in a blender and process until smooth. Add the peas and blend for a minute longer, until the peas are pureed. Pour the batter into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight. Meanwhile combine cheeses, mix in egg yolks and lemon zest, add freshly ground black pepper, salt if needed; and then add green onions, spinach and herbs.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Heat a nonstick skillet and brush it lightly with oil. Pour a scant 1/4 cup of batter onto skillet for each blintz. When bubbles form on top, flip the blintzes and cook until lightly browned. Remove blintzes from skillet and immediately place 1 to 2 tablespoons filling in the center. Roll the blintz and place it seam-side down on a lightly buttered baking sheet. When all the blintzes are filled, place them in the oven to warm, about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with Yogurt sauce. • 1 cup Greek plain yogurt • 1 large clove garlic, peeled and grated or minced • ½ tablespoon finely chopped mint leaves • 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves, a handful • 1 lemon, zest and juice. In a small bowl combine yogurt with garlic and zest, stir the lemon juice into yogurt to thin out, add mint and parsley, salt and pepper to your taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe