If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Roasted rhubarb, cranberries, walnuts and pinches of orange zest, over greens dressed in a balsamic-walnut dressing over baby greens makes a little sweet & tart salad! These crimson celery-like stalks are often matched with a variety of fruits to make a delicious sweet treat. Rhubarb, however, is actually a vegetable, and in 1947 (per wiki) a New York court decided that since it was used in the US as a fruit, it was to be counted as fruit for the purposes of regulations, the tariffs were higher for vegetables than fruits! Anyway, my idea, to roast the rhubarb was adapted from Eating Well; it has become one of my favorite ways to enjoy it. I hope you will try it too! —lapadia
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb – cut 1/2-inch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 cups baby greens
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Zest from one orange
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toast the walnuts: place in a skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stir constantly until they smell fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Toss the rhubarb & sugar in a medium bowl until coated evenly; let sit about 10 minutes - stir a couple times.
- Spread rhubarb onto a baking sheet with rim, and roast about 5 minutes or until it starts to soften, let cool 10 minutes.
- Whisk the vinegar, oil, shallot, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add greens; toss to coat with the dressing.
- Divide onto 4 plates. Top with the rhubarb, walnuts, cranberries and orange zest.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Put cake on a pedestal.