If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was shopping today, and the Asian Market, where I shop sometimes, had an abandons of fresh vegetables and herbs. I grabbed almost everything that looked the freshest and got inspired to make this dish.
This recipe I often use for braising meat or fish, and the herbs and vegetables, are equally good in other combinations.
Then I cooked some brown rice pilaf with a lot of herbs and fresh peas; when it was ready, I added ½ a cup of pistachios. I packet everything and with my husband we went to our daughters home for dinner.
Before dinner I asked my granddaughter to take a picture.
Braising the livers in liquid with soy sauce and this combination of seasonings, gave them a rich color and spicy flavor.
- • 1 pound freshest chicken livers (organic)
- • ½ cup good quality soy sauce
- • ½ cup water
- • ¼ cup dry sherry wine
- • 1 tablespoon sugar (I used honey)
- • ½ star anise
- • 1 small stick cinnamon (about 1-inch)
- • 1 ½ -inch slice fresh ginger (crushed)
- • 2 sprigs lemon grass (cut in 1-inch pieces, and crushed)
- • 1 bunch of Ramps or young garlic
- • ¼ teaspoon dry red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Place livers in a pan, cover with water, and bring just to boiling; rinse and drain. In a sauce pan combine soy sauce, water, Sherry, sugar or honey, and oil. Add star anise, cinnamon, ginger, lemon grass or young garlic and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, add chicken levers, and reduce to simmer. Cover and cook on the lowest flame for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool. Chill for at least 1-2 hours. To serve, drain, discard all spices, and reduce the sauce until lightly thickened. Serve the sauce separately, or pour over the livers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
Butter is better, Jacques Pépin, and more
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
This month's most pinned recipes.
Savor the season.