If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A few years ago, I was looking to create a new Christmas cookie, preferably one not based on butter. I came up with this recipe, substituting apple sauce for some of the fat and then adding egg white for volume and texture. The combination of high fat cocoa powder and refreshing mint flavor makes it refreshing and satisfying all at once. And it is definitely one of the lightest Christmas cookie I've ever made. My thighs have thanked me for years! - Aphrodisiac Chick
Serves approx 2 dozen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sifted high fat cocoa powder (such as callebaut)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons applesauce
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white at room temperature, fork beaten
- 3/4 cup min Andes candies, or regular Andes candies cut into small chunks
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the butter in a mixing bowl until fluffy. Slowly add the sugars and beat for about two minutes on medium. Add the applesauce and vanilla and beat until fully incorporated.
- Add the egg white to the sugar mixture and beat for an additional 1-2 minutes on medium high speed.
- Turn mixer to low speed and add the flour mixer 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until just combine.
- Fold in the Andes Candies pieces.
- Coat your hands lightly with oil and shape the cookie dough into a 6-7 inch log. Wrap log in plastic wrap and freeze for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Unwrap the firm log and slice into approximately 24 rounds, (about 1/4 inch thick). Place the rounds on the cookie sheet about an inch apart.
- Bake on the center rack for 9-11 minutes then remove from sheet and cool on a rack.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate Cookie
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.