If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This hearty dish for four should cost about $1.50 per person. If I'm not being frugal I'll add a bulb of fennel in with the onions, but that can hike up the price a bit. - NWB - NWB
Food52 Review: This pasta makes a wonderful sunday night supper. For such an inexpensive meal, it is thoroughly hearty and flavorful. The spicy sausage adds a lot of flavor to the ragu, and I found it very quick and easy to prepare. It will definitely be added to our rotation of pasta dishes. - Marcal
- 2 hot italian sausages or about 1/2 lb
- 1 28 oz can of tomatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1 celery stalk
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/2 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes (to taste)
- parmesan cheese to taste (if you are splurging)
- 1 pound dried pasta (I like rigatoni with this dish)
- Remove sausage from casing. In medium sauce pan break up and brown sausage. Remove sausage and set aside. Add olive oil to pan. Chop and add onions and celery. Add salt. Cook five minutes. Add chopped garlic. Add tomato and anchovy paste. Cook until veggies are soft but not brown. Add tomatoes. Add pepper flakes. Add one tomato can full of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer very lightly for 30 minutes.
- With immersion blender puree tomato sauce. Add sausage. Lightly simmer for an hour.
- Cook pasta (if you live in NYC go to Rafetto's on Houston and MacDougal for the best and cheapest pasta and while you are at it get the sausage from Ottomanelli on Bleeker and 7th avenue and the splurge of parm from Joe's on Sullivan just below Houston).
- Taste the sauce for salt. The anchovy paste is really salty so you may not need to add more. Add a good amount of tomato sauce to a large saute pan and heat. Add cooked pasta, turn off the heat and mix pasta and ragu. Serve with parm cheese and enjoy.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.