If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Who says you need (expensive) meat to have a great dinner? The chickpeas, zucchini and gremolata-infused bread crumbs in this pasta dish make it flavorful, healthy and satisfying. The cost for this hearty meal for four is about $7 – and if you have zucchini and parsley growing in your garden, it's probably under $5!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs made from good-quality bread
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into thin half moons
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound spaghetti
- To make the gremolata breadcrumbs, heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a skillet, add half the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add the bread crumbs, lemon zest and parsley and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until bread crumbs are browned and crispy. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet. Add the zucchini and red pepper flakes, and cook over medium heat, turning frequently with a spatula, until the zucchini is starting to turn golden (about 10 minutes). Add the remaining garlic during the last 3 minutes of cooking time. Stir in the chickpeas, lemon juice, salt and a generous amount of black pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add a tablespoon of salt and then the pasta. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the reserved liquid to the zucchini mixture and cook for 2 additional minutes. Combine the pasta and squash, and stir gently. Serve topped with the breadcrumbs and a drizzle of olive oil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.