If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love sweet potatoes, and I love the idea of sweet potato soup but too often it ends up being bland or overly sweet. Sometimes its a little too much like baby food, or there’s too much cream to thicken it up. I was sick last week and so of course I wanted soup. But I also didn’t want to make something that was overly involved or complicated; I was sick after all. So I decided to make sweet potato soup, but with attitude.
From start to finish this took about 30 minutes, only a few of which were really hands on, beyond the occasional stirring of the pot. To give it some character I added spicy curry paste to the vegetables before adding the broth. It was just enough to make the soup interesting without overpowering the delicate sweet potato flavor. I added a few carrots as well, just for good measure. And with only a few, basic ingredients it makes for a dirt cheap dinner. - kmartinelli
- 1 onion, chopped (shallots would also be nice)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Saute the onion and garlic in a small amount of olive oil until soft. Add the sweet potatoes and carrots and stir to combine. Mix in the curry paste and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, covered, until the sweet potatoes and carrots are softened, about 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or carefully using a blender, blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro or a drizzle of cream, if you wish. Some crunchy croutons or oyster crackers would also be excellent.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
Raise a Glass to This Roast
A mash-up masterpiece.
Rock the roast.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Be shelf smart.
Recipe of the Day
This is poppin'.