If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The first time I made this dish for dinner, my then three-year-old son couldn’t get over eating eggs at night. I love it because it’s so comforting after a long day at work and not only is it dirt cheap—less than $5 total—it’s also quick. I usually come in the house, start the potatoes and while they are cooking I change my clothes. By the time I’m back in the kitchen it’s time to stir the potatoes and start the eggs. Sometimes I’ll serve carrot sticks and cucumber slices on the side other times avocado halves. If I’m really ambitious I’ll sauté some spinach as a side dish. —lorinarlock
- 2 large Russet or 4 small Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 to 8 large eggs
- Chopped chives (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the potatoes and sprinkle with the salt, garlic powder and pepper and stir to coat evenly with the seasonings and the oil. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes begin to turn a golden brown. Stir the potatoes and continue cooking until the potatoes are evenly browned on the outside and creamy on the inside, about 20 minutes total.
- Fill a large, high-sided skillet with water and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- When the water is rapidly boiling, crack the first egg directly into the water. Add all of the eggs and set a time for two minutes (I usually cook no more than 6 eggs in an 8-inch skillet so you may need to cook the eggs in two batches).
- While the eggs are cooking, divide the potatoes among three to four shallow bowls.
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon in the same order they were added to the water. Arrange 1 to 2 eggs over each bowl of potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with chives and serve with hot sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
Recipe of the Day
Strawberries and champagne are meant to be
Recipe of the Day
Free shipping, this weekend only!
The freedom to snack.
Savor the season.