If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Growing up in a family where money was tight, my mom made some fantastic meals with simple and thrifty ingredients. This was one my favorites as a child and I asked for it almost every Friday.
I like fresh lemon juice with a smidge of the peel zested into the hot oil, but my mom always had bottled. Those squeezy lemons and limes still fascinate me. Large pieces of garlic are used to infuse the oil with garlicky goodness and are removed after browning. If you want to amp up the garlic factor add some finely minced to the oil right before the clams. Burned garlic is the worst smell and will turn the sauce bitter. Dried parsley (another staple in my mom's pantry) can be used but reduce to 3 tsp. —mcms1974
- 1 pound long pasta, my favorite is thin linguini
- 2, 6.5 ounces canned chopped clams
- 1, 8 ounces bottle clam juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, lightly smashed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Cook pasta according to directions on package.
- While pasta is cooking, begin heating oil and galic in a small saucepan. Cook the garlic until nicely browned and then discard garlic. Season the oil with a nice pinch of salt, a few grinds of pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Let the oil cool down slightly or you will have a big, splattery mess. Add the clams and all the juice. If you are impatient like me, put some of the juice in and cover with the lid. When the pot stops sputtering add the rest of the the juice and clams. Bring to a simmer. Just before adding sauce to the pasta, stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
- Serve with a salad and some crusty bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Beet greens can't be beat.
This month's most pinned recipes.