If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup is lovely and delicate with fresh carrots from the farmer's market. And contrary to popular belief, farmer's markets are often cheaper than grocery stores: http://www.theatlantic.com/life/archive/2011/05/the-farmers-market-myth/238661/. But if you don't have a farmer's market around or aren't a CSA member, the 99 cent bag of old discount carrots are the grocery store will be just fine too (but peel them well. Farmer's market carrots tend to be smaller than their conventionally grown grocery store counterparts, so keep that in mind when deciding how many to use. Either way, the cost of this meal should be under a dollar per serving (assuming you have the olive oil, honey, and spices in your pantry). The soup is pretty filling because it has some potato in it, but if you just don't feel like carrot soup is enough for dinner, toast a couple of whole wheat pitas cut into quarters and spread them with some lebni with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of zaatar. It will be delicious and satisfying with the soup, which contains some unusual spices for carrot soup, and only adds another fifty cents or so to the cost of the meal. —clintonhillbilly
- 2 bunches farmer's market carrots
- 1/2 russet potato
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 small onion
- juice of one orange
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- vegetable broth
- Fill a saucepan with water and set it over a burner on high heat. Meanwhile, peel and roughly chop the carrots, potato and onion. Make your carrot and potato pieces about the same size. When your water boils, add the carrot and potato pieces to the water.
- Heat oil in another saucepan and begin sauteeing onions, garlic, and ginger. After a few minutes of sauteeing, add 1 tsp black mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start popping, turn the heat to low.
- When the carrots and potatoes are soft, add then to the onion-garlic-ginger-mustard seed mixture. Add enough vegetable broth to cover, and mix in the orange juice, five spice powder, honey, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring soup to a boil, then simmer for at least half an hour.
- Use an immersion blender or a regular blender to puree the soup, and serve it to grateful guests in attractive bowls.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
Look at Those Layers
It's rice pudding meets custard meets cake
A low-effort layered "cake."
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
Can your lunch handle the commute?
It's in the bag.