If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When pinching pennies I like getting creative with leftovers; a favorite is potpie, delicious comfort food made from leftover roast chicken. The ideal scenario would be using fresh blanched garden vegetables, if available, however, frozen mixed vegetables in a creamy chicken sauce topped with puffed pastry will do if that is not possible. - lapadia
Serves 4, in ramekins that are 4 inches across and 2 inches deep
- FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 2-2/3 cups cubed leftover chicken
- 2 cups mixed vegetables = corn kernels, carrots, green beans, potatoes & celery , blanched fresh or frozen - chopped bitesize
- SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1-1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth. Optional – combine the stock/drippings left over from roasting, if there is any, as part of this measurement
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Salt & fresh ground pepper – to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream - optional
- 1 thawed sheet from a 17.3-ounce puff pastry package
- Egg lightly beaten, for a wash
- Preheat oven to 400º F
- In a small saucepan, heat the broth until hot, but not boiling. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat, add in and whisk the shallot and garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly for 2 minutes, until a thick paste forms. Slowly whisk in the heated broth and simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Add in salt, pepper to taste. Set aside. Do not add sour cream, yet, let the sauce cool until needed.
- Lightly grease the ramekins and divide the cubed poultry and vegetables evenly between the four ramekins, let sit until needed.
- Lightly flour a work surface, unfold the sheet of thawed puff pastry and roll it out large enough to cut into quarters that will overlap the ramekins.
- Stir the sour cream into the sauce and pour into the filling ingredients, stir lightly to incorporate.
- Grease around the ramekin rims; cover each with a puff pastry quarter and press gently around the rim. Cut a couple slits to allow steam to escape.
- Place on a sheet pan, brush each with egg wash. Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.