Author Notes: This soup is delicious and comforting (and cheap!). A dear family friend, Ralph, created it and shared the basis of it with me. It's such a favorite that an artist was commissioned to paint a picture of the ingredients! A few simple ingredients come together beautifully and you have a bowl full of warmth and love. - BlueKaleRoad
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 3 large apples (Golden Delicious or McIntosh are good)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- plain yogurt to garnish (optional)
- Cut the broccoli florets off the stalk and set aside. Cut the stalks into 1-inch pieces. Peel the apples, core and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and apple chunks. Saute about 6 minutes. Add the broth and the broccoli stalks. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets to the soup and simmer for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with yogurt if using.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner