If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Is there a better street food than falafel? You can keep your sketchy taco trucks. The smell of the balls frying, the cool, creamy tzatziki on a muggy New York afternoon. The idea that you are eating something good for you that's on the fried food pyramid. It's really got it all.
And it even comes with it's own slideshow:) - marisab67
Food52 Review: Call anything "world's easiest" and we're skeptical, but marisab67 is on to something. We'd never made falafel from scratch before and were astonished at how easy -- and fun -- it could be. The food processor does double duty for the herbed chickpea mixture and then the garlic-scented tzatziki, saving us from both fine-chopping and washing extra dishes. The falafel patties are easily formed (a good time to put children or other passersby to work) and well-behaved in the frying pan. One bite into a pita stuffed with freshly crisped falafel, doused in your perfect tzatziki and a few shakes of hot sauce, and ordering take-out will seem like too much trouble. - A&M - The Editors
- 2 cups dried chickpeas, rinsed well and soaked overnight
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 bunch mint, washed
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1 piece bread
- 2 pinches salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 cup canola oil for frying
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup plain yogurt, Greek style preferred
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pkg. pita or flatbread
- Drain chickpeas and let air dry for 2 hours, or more.
- Process chickpeas, onion, 2 cloves garlic, half bunch mint, cilantro, egg, bread, salt and pepper, cumin and half the lemon juice on low speed until a thick paste forms. No chunks or your balls will fall apart.
- Form into patties and let rest while tzatziki is made.
- Rinse processor and pulse cucumber, yogurt, rest of mint and lemon juice and the last garlic clove on low just until blended. salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry patties in canola on medium high heat for 3 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Serve with warm pita or flatbread.
- Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner Contest Finalist!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
The Best Cinnamon Rolls
10 Cozy Finger Foods