Author Notes: I love seafood! All kinds of it! Breakfast, lunch, dinner! you name it, one day I'll come up with a seafood milkshake and I'll enjoy it (maybe?) But, as we all know, eating seafood every day can hit your budget sooner than you notice. So this recipe is my go-to recipe whenever I am lacking time/money/inspiration to whip up a fancy meal.
The ingredients for this recipe are in my pantry at all times, except I might run to the store for some french bagette ( you sort of have to dip some crostini into the sauce) Anyway, here it is.. bon apetit! - mionche
- 1 pound linguini pasta
- 4-5 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup clam sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons starchy water (from linguini)
- 1/4 cup ground parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 cups canned clams
- Heat up salty water in a pot, and as soon as it starts boiling, throw your pasta in and add a splash of olive oil into the water. Cook your pasta al-dente, and reserve some of the starchy water.
- Heat up the olive oil in a pan over medium heat, throw your chopped garlic in and lower the heat to low- you want the garlic to release its flavours into the oil, you don't want to burn the garlic ( it does burn rather quickly). Add red pepper flakes and keep a close eye on it so it doesn't burn 9 it all depends on your stove as well)
- Once the garlic and red pepper flakes are married together, add your clam sauce ( I use canned- it is a cheap dinner, right?) and white wine and raise the heat to medium-high.. At this time, you can also add your whole clams ( from a can).Cook it off for about 4-5 minutes. Lower the heat again and add parmesan cheese, parsley and heavy cream (optional). Add your cooked pasta and be sure to add some of the reserved starchy water, it will marry all the ingredients together perfectly. Sprinkle with some additional parsley and parmesan cheese and serve with crostini! Bon apetit!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner