Author Notes: Mussels are one of the most inexpensive, and oftentimes underrated seafood selections you can make. I can often get a pound of mussels for three to four dollars. I love ordering moules and frites, a traditional French/Belgian dish with steamed mussels and french fries. However, I am often disappointed with the contribution of rather bland french fries compared to the aromatic mussel broth! Here, I use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes and tweak the aromatics, spices and herbs to get a more earthy dish. You can serve this as main dish or a starter. - meganvt01
Serves 2 - 4
- 2 pounds mussels, debearded
- 1/3 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 lime, cut in half
- 1/3 cup yellow peppers, chopped
Frites (sweet potatoes)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425. Toss the sweet potato wedges with olive oil, cumin, and season with salt and pepper. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, flipping them once 15 minutes has elapsed. Test for tenderness after about 20 minutes and watch, depending on the size of your sweet potatoes and heat of your oven it may take a little more or less time.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, wide dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and peppers and saute for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the red pepper, cumin, curry powder, salt and pepper and stir.
- Pour in the wine and chicken broth, top with the mussels, then the tomatoes. Cover and cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until the mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that do not open!
- Pour the mussels and broth into a large bowl, sprinkle over chopped cilantro. Serve alongside roasted sweet potato frites. Squeeze lime over the mussels and sweet potatoes and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner