If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Drumsticks are a very economical chicken option, ranging below two dollars a pound for free range, natural drumstick value packs even at Whole Foods. At a cheap neighborhood market, I've seen conventionally raised drumsticks as low as 79 cents a pound. Tofu is also economical, and this dish is just as good vegetarian. The rest of what you need can be purchased cheap -- a can of tomato sauce, a can of coconut milk, a shallot, a lime, a little ginger, and litte fresh basil. If you have shredded coconut around, throw it in -- if not, just omit it. Plus, you can use the leftover coconut milk, basil, and lime juice to mix up a nice cocktail with whatever rum or vodka you have on hand. No waste here! - clintonhillbilly
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1 pound drumsticks, or 1 block tofu
- 1 cup frozen spinach or fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
- juice of 1/2 a good sized lime
- 2 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Sauté ginger and shallot until beginning to brown, then add all other ingredients except tofu or chicken and fresh basil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pan-fry tofu or brown chicken. Pour sauce over tofu and serve, or pour sauce over chicken, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes longer. Garnish with fresh basil. Serve over rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner