If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: 1990-Blizzard season in Chicago we left for a vacation on Maui. One night we dined on Azeka ribs a very good food memory thus the inspiration for what used to be an inexpensive cut of meat. At the time I was focused on Junior League cookbooks when we traveled and picked up the Honolulu 1989 version. Many years later I discovered the “Easy Picnic Short Ribs” recipe in the book, but for many years I made my own version from scribbled tasting notes on the last page of the book. No Internet in those days to look up similar recipes, now there are several claiming to be the Azeka family recipe. I take these along for a grilled lunch or dinner on the beach.
If you have never had Azeka’s ribs, it doesn't matter which recipe you choose, if you have had them pick the closest marinade recipe and adjust it according to what you recall. I also read that you can buy the marinade in Canada and Seattle...
- 1 whole chili pepper
- 1 1/2 inch pieces ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 Vidalia spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup low sodium or mild soy sauce
- 1/3 cup Sesame oil, start with half the amount, that's enough for me
- 1 tablespoon Mirin
- Splash of Sake
- 1/4 cup cane or turbinado sugar
- 6 pounds thin beef cross cut, Hawaiian cut, or Korean cut, less than ¼ inch slices if you can get them that thin
- 1-2 tablespoons forgot the fish sauce
- Toss the ribs in a big zip bag or food sealer bag, mix the marinade, cover ribs, seal, and turn ribs in marinade several times, refrigerate 24 hours, turning frequently. Grill 5 minutes each side, medium heat. Somen noodle salad goes nicely with the ribs for a picnic.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Beet greens can't be beat.
This month's most pinned recipes.