If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I just graduated from college. This recipe is great, and one of my standbys. Its beauty exists in that you don't really need proportions. If you don't have an onion, use garlic. If you don't have cheese, just pronounce it vegan. if you don't have fresh herbs, just go to your spice rack (I might even allow you to use "italian seasoning").
This can be eaten as a side dish, or if you are a poor college student like me, can be served as dinner at home or at potlucks. I've had many people want the recipe, only to be dumbfounded by the simplicity. —Allison R. Stewart
- White beans, I use dry navy because they are cheapest
- 8 ounces can of diced tomatoes
- a bunches fresh herbs like Thyme, Oregano or Sage (or replace with dry)
- half an onion, minced.
- 1 generous handfuls parmigiano-reggiano
- If using dry beans, soak for at least an hour. After soaking, change water, and then boil until soft. Be patient, and continue to add water, if the water absorbs and the beans are still not cooked.
- in a saute pan, soften the minced onion. Add some of the herbs. Take a good whiff.
- Add the can of tomatoes to the saute pan with the onions, letting the tomato juices to condense and thicken ups. It should not be thin, but neither should it be so consistent that the chunks are gone.
- Turn the oven on to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the beans and the sauce together in a baking dish so that the beans are completely covered in the sauce.
- Mix in extra herbs and cheese, and also add some cheese to the top so it can get crusty.
- Bake in the oven, for approximately 30 minutes, and wait, ravenously, while it cools enough to not burn your tongue.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
Ice cream has some competition
Whey cool desserts.
Recipe of the Day
It's time to travel.
Enter our latest contest!
Put cake on a pedestal.