Author Notes: Mild green garlic makes a wonderful aioli paired with tuna, sweet pickled ginger and a "wasabi" bite. - inpatskitchen
Serves 4 as an appetizer
For the green garlic aioli
- 1 room temperature egg
- 1/4 cup sliced green garlic (white and light green parts)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups neutral oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder mixed with enough warm water to form a thick paste
- Place the egg, green garlic, vinegar and salt in the bowl of a mini processor and process until smooth.
- Drizzle in the oil with the processor running, utilizing the teeny holes on the lid. Process until slightly thick.
- Stir in the wasabi paste and refrigerate to thicken a bit more.
For the tuna
- 2 8 ounce yellow fin tuna steaks
- 1/2 cup Mirin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- Sweet pickled ginger for serving
- Combine the Mirin, soy sauce, sesame oil and agave nectar and place in a heavy plastic freezer bag with the tuna. Marinate in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan sprayed with cooking spray until extremely hot. Grill the tuna for no more than 2 or 3 minutes per side. Slice and serve with the pickled ginger and aioli.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Use of Aioli