If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is kind of a quirky recipe. But isn't it some kind of classic childhood tradition to dip french fries in your float? Or did I make that up?
The sweet potato fly ("fly" means soda here) recipe comes from Sandor Katz's "Wild Fermentation." - linzarella
Sweet potato fly
- 1 teaspoon powdered mace
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup whey (easiest way to get it is to strain yogurt through a cheese cloth)
- 3 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 eggshell
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- cinnamon, to taste
- In a small pot, boil 1 cup water with the mace. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Grate sweet potatoes on a box grater. Put them in a strainer and rinse under running water to remove some of the starch.
- In a large bowl, combine grated sweet potatoes, 1 gallon of water, sugar, whey, lime juice and zest, and a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg. Clean and crush the eggshell, and add it into the mixture. Then add the cooled boiled mace mixture.
- Stir well to combine, then make an "x" over the bowl with masking tape and place a clean towel on top. Leave in a warm place for 3 days, then strain into glass bottles filled all the way to the top. Seal the bottles tightly, and return them to the warm place for another few days to build up carbonation, then transfer to the fridge. (for a more nuanced discussion of bottling methods, see my kombucha float recipe!)
Baked Sweet Potato Fries and Sweet Potato Float
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- sweet potato fly
- store-bought ginger ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and put a large pan in the oven to preheat. Cut the potatoes into roughly 3" by 1/2" strips. In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes with oil and mix well to coat. Then add sugar, salt, and cinnamon and mix again.
- Take the hot pan out of the oven and spread the sweet potatoes on it in a single layer, making sure they're not too crowded. Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning all the slices after 15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before using in the float.
- To make the floats, put a scoop of ice cream into four tall glasses, pour sweet potato fly into each glass, and slip a slice or two or sweet potato fry into each glass. Put the remaining fries in a bowl in the center of the table, and encourage people to dip the fries into their flies as the ice cream melts.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.