If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was inspired to dig up my recipe for this Iranian version of potato salad during a quest for cold meals. While there are several components, it's well worth the effort because it's so much more than a side dish—it's an entire meal. I like to serve it with warm flatbread or toasted baguette and a dandelion greens or arugula salad with a lemon vinaigrette. Because this has mayonnaise, pack it in a cooler if you are eating outdoors. - sdebrango
Food52 Review: WHO: Sdebrango is an unstoppable 4-time contest winner and mashed potato whisperer.
WHAT: A potato salad to call "dinner."
HOW: Make mashed potatoes, then mix in some sliced cornichons, chopped hard-boiled eggs, and shredded chicken. In lieu of butter, add lemon juice, olive oil, and mayonnaise, then gently fold in green peas. Your delightfully starchy dinner is served.
WHY WE LOVE IT: At first glance we had our doubts, but then we recognized the brilliance of this simple potato salad. It's a three-for-one: It has creamy goodness from mashed potatoes, umami from chicken, and crisp brightness from tangy cornichons, lemon, and green peas. We don't want to bring you into our intra-office drama, but let's just say there was a battle for which lucky editor got to take the leftovers home. - The Editors
Serves 6 to 8
- 6 to 8 potatoes (I like Yukon Gold. If the potatoes are large, use 6. If they're medium-small, use 8.)
- 1 cup cornichons, chopped
- 1 small chicken (baked or boiled and shredded; you could use leftover chicken too)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 to 2 cups mayonnaise (homemade or store-bought)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup canned, fresh, or frozen baby peas
- Bread of your choice, for serving. I like with either warmed flat bread or baguette drizzled with olive oil and toasted.
- Lemon wedges
- Chopped chives, for serving
- Peel potatoes and boil them whole, until they are fork tender but not falling apart. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Mash with a hand-held masher.
- Chop the cornichons. In a large bowl, mix the cornichons, shredded chicken, hard-boiled egg, and potatoes. Add the lemon juice, olive oil, and 1 cup of mayonnaise. Add more mayonnaise according to your taste. Salt and pepper to taste. Then, add the peas, gently incorporating so you don't mash them.
- Refrigerate overnight. When you serve, heat your bread. Squeeze lemon and drizzle olive oil over the salad and garnish with chives. Scoop with the warm bread.
- Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad Contest Winner!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Your Recipe Diploma
A menu master class for the college grad.
A master class in recipes.
Lettuce love vegetables.
Wine tasting takeaways.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.