Author Notes: I created these cookies one day when I was in serious need of chocolate, peanut butter, and salt. (Ladies, you know what I mean.) I definitely recommend using coarse sea salt on the cookies because it looks pretty and provides a punch of saltiness to contrast with the rich chocolate. - Food Blogga - Food Blogga
Food52 Review: This is the ultimate peanut butter cookie for chocolate lovers. The texture is reminiscent of the peanut butter cookie we all grew up on but with every detail refined -- the base is made with cocoa and you stir unsalted peanuts and semi-sweet chocolate chips (just the right amount of each so it's not overkill) and sprinkle coarse sea salt (we like Maldon) on top. As Food Blogga notes, don't use all-natural peanut butter or you won't get the same crumbly texture. We used Skippy. - A&M - A&M
Serves about 3 1/2 dozen
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups creamy peanut butter (not all natural)
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- coarse sea salt for sprinkling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an an electric mixer on medium-high speed. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in peanut butter until just combined. Beat in dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in peanuts and chocolate chips.
- Drop 1 heaping tablespoon of cookie dough (I used a cookie scoop, but spoons are just fine) two inches apart (as they will spread). Top each cookie with a few sea salt crystals.
- Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes, until the edges are firm. It's OK if the centers are a tad soft. They'll firm up as they cool. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before storing in an air-tight container, for up to 5 days.
- Your Best Chocolate Cookie Contest Finalist!