If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love blackberries and basil but never thought of putting them together. I decided to try and it's amazing. This syrup can be used in so many different ways a milkshake, mix with soda water, an ice cream soda,an egg cream or wherever your imagination takes you. Its best to let the syrup sit overnight in the refrigerator to get the full impact of the blackberries and basil. - sdebrango - sdebrango
Food52 Review: This was delicious! Creamy, sweet, and a just a little tart. The basil was a nice touch. It made it completely refreshing and a nice change from the typical mint in a dessert. The syrup was super easy to make. It was delicious in the milkshake, but I think it would also be great on cheesecake or drizzled over a lemon cake with some whipped cream. This is a great treat for kids of all ages. Yes, in spite of the basil, my kids loved it! Basil in sweet-tart desserts is genius! Lovely recipe sdebrango! This was my first attempt at a syrup and it went swimmingly! - chichel
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup Sugar(If berries are very sweet decrease sugar by 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup water
- 9 Basil leaves
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Whole milk (Or you can use reduced or low fat if you prefer)
- To a medium saucepan add your blackberries, sugar, water and 8 basil leaves. On high heat bring to a boil, then reduce to med/high and let cook for 20 minutes Only stir after all the sugar has dissolved. Take off flame and let it cool to room temperature.Pour through a sieve pressing the blackberries until just about all thats left is the seeds and a little pulp. Pour into a jar add a basil leaf and refrigerate.
- To make the milk shake: For 1 serving add 1/2 cup milk to blender, add 6 tbs blackberry syrup and 2 scoops vanilla ice cream. Blend until incorporated. Pour into a glass add another small scoop of ice cream and drizzle with syrup.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe