If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The concept of a savory summer drink probably goes against conventional wisdom, but this drink is a favorite in the hot and humid regions of South India (If you don't believe me, ask Pauljoseph!). also known as 'Chaas' in the northern regions of India, its made of diluted buttermilk with a touch of ginger, lime and an itsy bitsy hint of heat from green chili. Temples would make these in large clay pots for itinerant travelers to quench their thirst. and to this day, it is customary in small villages to offer a stranger a rejuvenating glass of 'Neer More'.
At home, I prefer it with chilled ice water while the other half likes his with lime flavored seltzer. They both taste great! - Panfusine
Makes 2 , 8 oz servings
- 4 ounces non fat or low fat buttermilk or kefir
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 stalk cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4-1/2 a small green chilli,
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- juice of 1/2 -1 lime, freshly squezed
- Sea salt to taste
- 12 ounces plain/lime flavored seltzer or plain chilled water
- a Pinch of toasted cumin powder (optional)
- In a mortar, muddle the ginger, curry leaves, green chili, cilantro and salt till the ginger & curry leaves are almost a coarse paste.
- Add to the buttermilk / kefir and whisk well till the flavors combine.
- Add the chilled seltzer, whisking to blend the buttermilk thoroughly.
- Strain into glasses. Garnish with extra cilantro & toasted cumin powder. Serve cold.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls