Author Notes: Who hasn't heard at least the chorus from the famous Harry Nilsson song, "Coconut?" Well he was onto something. Coconut and lime are a delicious combination whether you squeeze some lime into fresh coconut water in the tropics or you make a lime and coconut sorbet float on a hot summer day. - hardlikearmour - hardlikearmour
Food52 Review: Hardlikearmour's Lime in the Coconut Float is my new favorite drink. The lemongrass and lime-infused syrup is so well balanced and flavorful I wanted to drink it by itself. When added to the lime juice and seltzer, it is a refreshing and delicious drink, and the addition of the coconut sorbet put it over the top. I was instantly transported to the tropics imagining myself with a fresh coconut and a wedge of lime while resting on a hammock. The infused syrup is so good I added more to the soda for a stronger flavor. One wasn't enough -- the second one I made later that day involved coconut/pineapple ice cream and was also amazing. At my next gathering this lovely drink will definitely be on the menu. As a matter of fact, I thought it was so good I made another batch so I wouldn't run out. This is a simple and delicious float that I will make over and over again. Absolutely wonderful!!! - sdebrango - sdebrango
Makes about 2/3 cup syrup; enough for at least 6 floats
For the Lemongrass & Lime Syrup
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 2 limes
- 4 ounces water (1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces sugar (1/2 cup plus 1 T)
- Thinly slice lemongrass and set aside. With a vegetable peeler remove the lime zest in strips trying to avoid getting much white pith. Set aside. Juice the limes and set juice aside for making the soda.
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat on high, stirring or swirling occasionally to dissolve sugar until it boils. Boil for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Remove from heat. Add the lemongrass and lime zest, cover with a tight fitting lid, and allow to cool to room temperature. Pour through a mesh strainer into a glass jar. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
Lime in the Coconut Float
- 1 to 1 & 1/2 tablespoons lemongrass & lime syrup
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 scoops coconut sorbet (about 1/2 cup total)
- seltzer, cold
- Combine syrup and lime juice in a 12-oz glass. Add sorbet. Slowly pour seltzer over the sorbet, it with froth up pretty fiercely. Stir gently after glass is about 2/3 full. Continue to slowly fill glass with seltzer. Serve immediately with a straw.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe