If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Indochina, 1954. It’s HOT. So hot your clothes are sticking to you. The heat is merciless, so you go to Cinque Doigt Marie’s where a ceiling fan spreads the aromas of Gitanes and simmering pho out into the street. Everyone is smoking---it’s a French colonial hang out, for the time remaining. At a corner table a Soviet spy is onanistically fingering a plate of spring rolls. In another room Keith Richards is playing Russian roulette with a Viet Minh. But it’s really stinking, sweaty hot and you need something to cool you down. After your third French 75** you decide on Marie’s Fizz. It’s cold. It’s good. Keith Richards walks out alive---again. - pierino
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Fleur de sel vanille*, just about ¼ tsp
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup dragon fruit pulp---1 fruit should yield this amount
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Seltzer water
- In a medium sized sauce pan scald but don’t boil the milk
- Whisk in the mint leaves and allow to steep for 30 minutes. Strain into a bowl.
- Add the sugar, fleur de sel and dragon fruit pulp and using a hand mixer or immersion blender beat until smooth, continue by adding cream and finally lime juice. Despite its forbidding exterior dragon fruit is amazingly easy to work with.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours
- Start your ice cream machine (I use a 1 ½ quart capacity Cuisinart). Run for 25 minutes or until it turns into ice cream.
- Scoop the ice cream into heavy glasses and add a generous amount of cold seltzer water. This will froth up big and nasty when you hit it with seltzer.
- *Fleur de sel vanille, well a really good friend brought some of this stuff back from France. Substitute plain fleur de sel and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- **And to make the French 75 before you move on to the fizz http://food52.com/recipes/13206-voila-l-ete-the-french-75
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Daytime Drinks
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe
Seven of the best things we read this week.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wedding registry must haves.
Wildcard Winner Recap