Author Notes: I came up with this recipe when I was looking for new ways to use spaghetti squash. I had seen spaghetti squash used on a General Tso's tofu sandwich at Number 7 Sub in New York, and I thought spaghetti squash would go well with Asian flavors. The cucumber salad was inspired by a David Chang pickle recipe in Food and Wine. - VanessaS
Hoisin Turkey Meatballs
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 2 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 4 scallions, very finely sliced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- Juice of one lime
- Preheat your oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the tamari, sesame oil, cornstarch, ginger, and sambal oelek in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Mix in the turkey, cilantro, and scallions with your hands until just combined, being careful not to overhandle.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon size portions of turkey mixture, gently rolling each scoop into a ball shape. Place meatballs on the baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Mix hoisin and lime juice. Brush lightly over meatballs.
Cucumber Salad and Lettuce Wraps
- 1/2 of an English cucumber, cut into 1/4 inch half moons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 scallion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 head of Boston lettuce
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Toss the cucumbers with ¼ teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar in a colander and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix the remaining salt and sugar with the red pepper flakes, ginger, garlic, fish sauce and soy sauce in a large, shallow bowl. Add the scallion and cumbers. Let the cucumber salad sit for 45 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes or so, before serving.
- Gently remove each piece of lettuce from the head of lettuce, being careful not to tear any leaves. Wash and dry the leaves and set aside.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place a half of the squash cut-side down on a dinner plate and put a tablespoon of water on the plate under the squash. Microwave on high for 10 minutes. Repeat with the other half of the squash. Run a fork through each half, scooping out the strands of spaghetti squash.
- To serve, fill each lettuce cup with some spaghetti squash, two or three meatballs, and some cucumber salad.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food