If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I came up with this recipe when I was looking for new ways to use spaghetti squash. I had seen spaghetti squash used on a General Tso's tofu sandwich at Number 7 Sub in New York, and I thought spaghetti squash would go well with Asian flavors. The cucumber salad was inspired by a David Chang pickle recipe in Food and Wine. —VanessaS
Hoisin Turkey Meatballs
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 2 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 4 scallions, very finely sliced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- Juice of one lime
- Preheat your oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the tamari, sesame oil, cornstarch, ginger, and sambal oelek in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Mix in the turkey, cilantro, and scallions with your hands until just combined, being careful not to overhandle.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon size portions of turkey mixture, gently rolling each scoop into a ball shape. Place meatballs on the baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Mix hoisin and lime juice. Brush lightly over meatballs.
Cucumber Salad and Lettuce Wraps
- 1/2 of an English cucumber, cut into 1/4 inch half moons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 scallion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 head of Boston lettuce
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Toss the cucumbers with ¼ teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar in a colander and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix the remaining salt and sugar with the red pepper flakes, ginger, garlic, fish sauce and soy sauce in a large, shallow bowl. Add the scallion and cumbers. Let the cucumber salad sit for 45 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes or so, before serving.
- Gently remove each piece of lettuce from the head of lettuce, being careful not to tear any leaves. Wash and dry the leaves and set aside.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place a half of the squash cut-side down on a dinner plate and put a tablespoon of water on the plate under the squash. Microwave on high for 10 minutes. Repeat with the other half of the squash. Run a fork through each half, scooping out the strands of spaghetti squash.
- To serve, fill each lettuce cup with some spaghetti squash, two or three meatballs, and some cucumber salad.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
Give Peas a Chance
Pea guacamole and other offensive foods
Warning: You might be offended.
Burnt Toast: Episode 9
Savor the season.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
A board to go nuts over.