If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my sister’s go-to recipe for a fast lunch at work, or for packing up for a long flight from New York to Los Angeles, when she and her family are coming to visit.
I tasted the leftovers and adopted the recipe. Now I make them with many different fillings.
This dish is portable, and it is very convenient to take to work, on a picnic, or for a trip. - Kukla
Red salmon filling:
- 12 plane, stale mini bagels
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups caned red salmon, drained
- 1 medium white onion (fine diced)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (fine diced)
- 3/4 cup prepared mayonnaise mixed with juice and zest of 1 large lemon and 2 teaspoons fresh dill (chopped)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes filling:
- • 4 Bratwurst or Italian sausages, casings removed
- • 1 medium onion, chopped
- • 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (if very dry, soaked in hot water and drained first)
- • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- • 1 large egg beaten
- • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- • 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- In a large glass baking dish lay out the bagels in one layer. Pour the milk over the bagels and soak them until puffed. Turn bagels a few times or press down. Meanwhile make the filling. In a mixing bowl steer eggs, onion, mayonnaise until well combined.
- To make the sausage filling: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring occasionally, and breaking up meat with a spoon, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add onion; cook stirring, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes and parsley. Transfer to a plate; let cool to room temperature. Mix in the beaten egg to bind the filling.
- To assemble with red salmon filling: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper, spray with cooking spray, and lay out the bagels. In the center mount 1 heaping tablespoon salmon mixture and sprinkle with cheese. If not using cheese, cover the filling with about 1 teaspoon mayonnaise or bread crumbs sautéed in butter. Bake for about 10- 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- To assemble with Sausage filling: In the center mount 1 heaping tablespoon Sausage mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 10- 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food