If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sundal is something that I grew up with on the coastal shores of South India! Sundal, is a savory snack that is very popular inside and outside the homes of Tamilians.
It is also one of the most popular snacks munched on while sitting on the cool sands of the beach in the evening watching the sea lapping at the shores. Growing up in Chennai, a coastal city, I loved going to the beach at dusk and listening to the waves hitting the coast. - AshaFSK
Food52 Review: AshaFSK’s South Indian Sundal delivers a big exotic punch for minimal effort. The nutty and crisped chickpeas are complemented by toasty coconut, which lends a subtle sweetness, tangy mustard seeds that pop when you bite into them, and a substantial kick from the chiles. I can only daydream about munching this on the beach in Chennai as AshaFSK describes, but for now it makes a great summery snack with cocktails on the patio. - Midge —Midge
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 2 teaspoons whole black mustard seeds
- 7 sprigs curry leaves
- 4 green chillies, diced
- 3 tablespoons dessicated coconut
- 1 pinch salt, as needed
- Soak the beans, in enough water and a little salt, overnight. Cook the beans in salted water in pan or in a pressure cooker (2-1/2 whistles) until just done. Drain and set aside. This can be made upto 2 days ahead.
- In a shallow pan, saute a bit or oil (ghee is best!). When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and wait for them to pop.
- Add the curry leaves and chillies. As they start to crisp up, add the cooked beans.
- Toss and cook on low for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle the grated coconut and toss and cook for a few minutes.
- That's it. Serve! :)
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
The invincible beer can chicken.
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.