Author Notes: These little lamb logs can be found all over Bulgaria ( and I'm sure other parts of Eastern Europe). They're grilled and in Bulgaria traditionally served with a hunk of bread. We'll put them on a stick sometimes and like to serve them with tzatziki, tomato, red onion,cucumber, feta, black olives and pita. - inpatskitchen - inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: Kebapcheta is not just fun to say, it’s also delicious! The ground cumin offers just the right warm spicy back note to meat; the grated onion and moistened bread ensure a nice tender kebab; and the tzatziki is the perfect cool tangy balance to the rich lamb. I did make two small adjustments that I think inpatskitchen will forgive -- I added a squeeze of lemon to the tzatziki because I really love lemon, and I lightly coated the kebabs with olive oil because I was a little worried about them sticking to the grill (they didn’t). I love the technique of grating both the onion and the cucumber -- that way all the flavors are perfectly incorporated and the texture of both parts of the dish is spot on. Big happy double thumbs up! - aargersi - aargersi
Makes 14 to 16 "logs"
For the tzatziki
- 4 ounces plain yogurt
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 English cucumber, shredded and blotted dry with paper toweling
- 1 clove garlic, grated or mashed in a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients and chill for a few hours.
For the lamb
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or mashed in a garlic press
- 1 slice white bread, soaked in water and then squeezed "dry
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly and chill for about an hour.
- Shape the meat into 3 inch logs about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Grill on a gas or charcoal grill until done to your likeness. Serve with tsatziki, pita bread, feta, kalamata olives and sliced cucumber, tomatoes and red onion.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food