Author Notes: Salty, sweet, textured. I was inspired by a pear, gorgonzola salad I often order at a local restaurant. - MrsWheelbarrow
- 2 slices good Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese (I like gorgonzola)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bartlett or bosc pear, cored & sliced
- 3 slices applewood smoked bacon
- 3 tablespoons soft salted butter
- handfuls Baby arugula
- Preheat oven to 350. Cook bacon on parchment paper for about 15 minutes, until crispy. I've been known to use the microwave for this step.
- Mix together the blue cheese, cream cheese, mustard and walnuts. Taste and add salt & pepper as you wish.
- Butter the bread on both sides and place on a board.
- Spread blue cheese mixture on each side of the bread.
- Next, add the pear slices. This is important. You want the pears to stick to the cheese, and not slide around in the middle of the sandwich.
- Add the bacon and pile on the arugula. Put the sandwich together. Press down a little.
- Heat a cast iron pan. Slip in the sandwich. Press down from time to time and griddle the sandwich, gently, slowly cooking it on both sides until browned, gooey and warmed through.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best "Ham and Cheese"