If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had one of those long never-ending weeks at work and wanted something simple and comforting but full of flavor for dinner. This sandwich hit the spot - it is salty and sweet with a little bit of gentle heat. Perfect with some greens and sliced apples or pears. - melissav
Serves 1 sandwich
- 2 pieces thinly sliced ciabatta bread per sandwich
- 1/4 cup manchego cheese per sandwich, grated
- 3 pieces thinly sliced jamon serrano per sandwich
- Fig Spread (see below)
- olive oil
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil and flip over. Spread the other side of each slice with the fig spread. Divide the cheese and sprinkle half over each slice of bread. Add the jamon serrano and close the sandwich.
- Grill the sandwich in a skillet over medium low heat until golden and crusty and the cheese is melted.
Fig, Caramelized Onion and Port Spread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1.5 tablespoons rosemary, minced
- 10 dried figs, halved
- 1/3 cup port
- 1/3 cup water
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a small saucepan. Add the onion and saute until just beginning to brown. Turn heat to medium low and add salt, cayenne, and rosemary. Cook stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
- Add the figs, port, and water. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes then cover and simmer for another five minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Process in food processor until a chunky spread. You will have more spread than you need for the sandwich(es). It is great on a cheese tray or on your morning toast.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best "Ham and Cheese"
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.