If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Leftover homemade Roast Beef is a very convenient part of many deferent dishes and especially for hearty, satisfying sandwiches for meat lovers.
Here is one sandwich that has all components of a French Onion Soup, except of the beef slices. I think even if you make the same sandwich without beef, it will still be very tasty.
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • 1 tablespoon butter plus 2 tablespoons soften for spreading on bread
- • 2 large yellow onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- • 6 thick, 1/2-inch good quality whole grain or sourdough bread
- • 4 thin slices (preferable homemade) roast beef for each sandwich
- • 1/4 cup dry sherry wine
- • 1/2 cup beef broth (low-sodium)
- • 6 slices Gruyere cheese cut in half
- • 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- • 1 cup leftover jus from roasting the beef
- Heat oil and butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook stirring until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Deglaze with beef broth and cook until it is absorbed, about 10 more minutes. Add the dry sherry, cook stirring, until no liquid is left in the skillet and onions have caramelized to a deep brown color, mix in parsley.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Meanwhile, slice the bread and spread butter on one side. Place on baking sheet, buttered side up, and toast on the upper rack, until golden about 7-10 minutes. In a small sauce pan heat the leftover jus.
- To assemble; top the buttered sides with 1 half slice of cheese, then about a tablespoon of the onion mixture. Dip beef slices into hot jus and arrange 4 slices on top of onion mixture, cover with the other half of cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake until cheese has melted. Serve with extra jus for dipping, if eating right away. The jus can be substituted with any your favorite sauces (I love Chimichurri).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for the Shore
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
A Memorial Day Menu minus the Fuss
Your holiday just got a whole lot easier.
Memorial Day made easy.
We need your help!
All you need for Memorial Day.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Mortar and pestle perfection.