If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For many years (1950) the rib shack was a Maui institution. When we moved to Maui about 10 years ago, Azeka Makai was THE place for ribs. Wedged between the Ace Hardware store and the Kihei Post Office, it was the scene of daily long lines of surfers, scuba divers, whale watchers, contractors, office staff and in the know tourists(among a lot of others) waiting for the window to open and be lucky enough to get some ribs before they ran out...and they always did! Sadly, Ace expanded and the rib shop lost its place. This is similar to those great tasting ribs, but it is completely my own recipe as I have no access to the actual recipe that was used for the Azeka Mall ribs. Also mine are not quite as sweet, adjusted for my own palate. —dymnyno
Serves (allow about a pound per person)
- 2 pounds beef shorts, 1/2 inch thick flanken cut
- 1 1/2 cups soy sauce
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons green onions, minced
- 1 cup coke or pepsi
- Mix all the ingredients, except the ribs. This recipe will make about 4 cups which is enough for a big crowd of rib lovers. It will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator, sealed. I used less than a cup for 2 pounds. (there's only 2 of us)
- Add enough of the marinade to cover. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight...if you get a chance, turn them over at least once.
- Prepare a hot BBQ and cook quickly, but don't let them get too black. They are thin so they cook in about 15 minutes or less.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Barbecued Meat
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
Piece of Cake
A 10-step guide to better cake
A 10-step guide to better cake.
Enter our latest contest!
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
Our weekend in photos.