If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Shawarma is native of arab and mediterranian region. Shawarma has made its way to rest of the world since a long time, it is now a national favourite street food in pakistan.
I have tried the lebanese version, greek version, british version (lamb pita) and pakistani version.
Although i love the goyee,messy,cheesy,saucy,runny shawarma....it might not be very healthy.
I have my version all plated up in a pick and roll ur own version. - Abeer Khan
- 3 Shawarma bread or pita bread
- 1/2-1/2 Red and green peppers
- 1 Chicken breast fillet
- 1 Cucumber
- 1-2 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp Vinegar
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup youghurt
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tsp Chicken tikka masala (shan or national)
- to taste Salt
- 1/2 cup Chilli garlic sauce (any good brand)
- 2 Cheese slices light cheddar
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil/ Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme and oregano
- 1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
- Marinate chicken fillets with 1/2 tsp lime juice, 3 cloves of garlic minced, salt to taste, 1/4th tsp black pepper, A pinch of red chilli (ADD SOME MORE + 1/2 tsp garam masala IF U CANT GET CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA) and marinate for atleast 30 minutes.
- Finely slice ur peppers, onions, tomato and cucumber in long thin strips. Take 1 onion and cucumber strips and marinate them in vinegar.
- Fry or grill chicken breast fillets with 1-2 tbsp oil. Cook them on medium heat until its little golden from top. Give the fillets good 7-8 mins a side while sprinkling some water 2-3 times just so it doesn't burn but gets cooked juicy and tender. Once done, cool then slice into thin strips.
- Take 1/2 -1 tsp oil in separate clean pan, and fry 1 clove of minced garlic for few seconds until aroma comes, add in ur strips of peppers, 1 onion and tomato. Stir fry on hight heat, immediately add 1/2 tsp lime juice, salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp of dried thyme and oregano mixture. Take off the heat.
- Mayo garlic dip: It is made with roasted garlic in classic way, but i love my method aswell its convenient too. Just mix together youghurt and mayonnaise in a small bowl, sprinkle some black pepper, add lime juice and 1/2 clove to 1 clove garlic. I gave 1/2-1 of garlic according to ur own liking of garlic strength. Warm ur pita breads and serve it on a platter or roll them as street fashion. Cheese can be put in pockets of bread so that it can melt. Serve chilli garlic sauce as a separate condiment in a small bowl alongwith ur quickly pickled onion and cucumber (it takes u 20 minutes of immersing them in vinegar). Enjoy healthy, clean and juicy shawarma my way.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.