Author Notes: Shawarma is native of arab and mediterranian region. Shawarma has made its way to rest of the world since a long time, it is now a national favourite street food in pakistan.
I have tried the lebanese version, greek version, british version (lamb pita) and pakistani version.
Although i love the goyee,messy,cheesy,saucy,runny shawarma....it might not be very healthy.
I have my version all plated up in a pick and roll ur own version. - Abeer Khan
- 3 Shawarma bread or pita bread
- 1/2-1/2 Red and green peppers
- 1 Chicken breast fillet
- 1 Cucumber
- 1-2 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp Vinegar
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup youghurt
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tsp Chicken tikka masala (shan or national)
- to taste Salt
- 1/2 cup Chilli garlic sauce (any good brand)
- 2 Cheese slices light cheddar
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil/ Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme and oregano
- 1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
- Marinate chicken fillets with 1/2 tsp lime juice, 3 cloves of garlic minced, salt to taste, 1/4th tsp black pepper, A pinch of red chilli (ADD SOME MORE + 1/2 tsp garam masala IF U CANT GET CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA) and marinate for atleast 30 minutes.
- Finely slice ur peppers, onions, tomato and cucumber in long thin strips. Take 1 onion and cucumber strips and marinate them in vinegar.
- Fry or grill chicken breast fillets with 1-2 tbsp oil. Cook them on medium heat until its little golden from top. Give the fillets good 7-8 mins a side while sprinkling some water 2-3 times just so it doesn't burn but gets cooked juicy and tender. Once done, cool then slice into thin strips.
- Take 1/2 -1 tsp oil in separate clean pan, and fry 1 clove of minced garlic for few seconds until aroma comes, add in ur strips of peppers, 1 onion and tomato. Stir fry on hight heat, immediately add 1/2 tsp lime juice, salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp of dried thyme and oregano mixture. Take off the heat.
- Mayo garlic dip: It is made with roasted garlic in classic way, but i love my method aswell its convenient too. Just mix together youghurt and mayonnaise in a small bowl, sprinkle some black pepper, add lime juice and 1/2 clove to 1 clove garlic. I gave 1/2-1 of garlic according to ur own liking of garlic strength. Warm ur pita breads and serve it on a platter or roll them as street fashion. Cheese can be put in pockets of bread so that it can melt. Serve chilli garlic sauce as a separate condiment in a small bowl alongwith ur quickly pickled onion and cucumber (it takes u 20 minutes of immersing them in vinegar). Enjoy healthy, clean and juicy shawarma my way.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food