Author Notes: I wanted to include another use for my recipe for Blackberry Basil Syrup, in addition I added fresh blackberries when the ice cream or gelato is nearly done churning. - sdebrango
Serves 4-6 (depends on serving size)
- 1 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 1/4 cup Whole Milk
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Blackberry basil syrup
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Fresh blackberries mashed
- Blackberry Basil Syrup (Make Syrup before you start the gelato see step 3)
- 1 1/2 cup Blackberries
- 9 Basil Leaves
- 1 cup Sugar (If blackberries are really sweet decrease sugar by 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup water
- Heat your cream and milk over med/high heat until its hot but not boiling. Whisk your egg yolks with the sugar until thick and light yellow. Slowly add the hot cream/milk to the eggs whisking constantly. Pour back into the saucepan and cook on medium heat stirring constantly until it reaches a temperature of 170-175 or coats the back of a wooden spoon leaving a trail when you run your finger on the spoon. Remove from heat and place in ice bath to start the cooling process when cooled add the blackberry syrup and vanilla. Cover and chill in the refrigerator it should be very cold before you put in ice cream maker.
- When custard is cooled add to your ice cream maker, when you see that the gelato/ice cream is to the point where it looks like soft serve add your blackberries while the machine is running. When its done put in freezer container and let freeze for at least and hour or two. Should be scoop able.
- For the Blackberry Basil Syrup: To a medium saucepan add your blackberries, sugar, water and 8 basil leaves. On high heat bring to a boil, then reduce to med/high and let cook for 20 minutes Only stir after all the sugar has dissolved. Take off flame and let it cool to room temperature.Pour through a sieve pressing the blackberries until just about all thats left is the seeds and a little pulp. Pour into a jar add a basil leaf and refrigerate.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream