If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is probably the the 'daintiest' (IF such an adjective could be used to describe street food) of the set of 'big five' Bombay street food classics that I'd like to share with food52. Small round deep fried crisps made with dough topped with boiled and seasoned potatoes, sweet & spicy chutney and topped with 'sev' (which gives the dish its name). You either ordered a 'full plate' (8 pieces) or a 'half plate' (4 pieces)
Sev is an extruded crisp deep fried chick pea flour batter. seasoned simply with salt, it is liberally sprinkled on to most street dishes as a finishing garnish along with finely chopped cilantro & green chiles. Its readily available in Indian grocery stores across the US.
A perfectly wonderful substitute for the puri in the U.S.A are those round tortilla chips, even better, the cup shaped chips! If you cannot locate Sev, feel free to crumble a few potato chips & substitute! —Panfusine
Makes 20 bite sized pieces
Basic cilantro & mint chutney
- 2 cups cilantro leaves (packed)
- 1/2 cup packed mint leaves
- 1-2 green chiles
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Add all ingredients into a food processor using no added water and grind into a fine paste.
Sev batata puri
- 20 pieces of puri (available at Indian groceries)
- 1/2 cup boiled russet potatoes, crumbled & seasoned with salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup Cilantro & mint chutney
- 1/2 cup Tamarind chutney
- 1/2 cup fine Sev
- Finely chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- Paprika powder to sprinkle (optional)
- 2 tablespoons very finely chopped sweet onion (optional)
- Fresh Pomegranate pearls for garnishing (optional)
- The recipe for tamarind chutney can be found at http://www.food52.com/recipes/10460_sweet_sour_tamarind_sauce
- Arrange the puris on a plate. pile about a teaspoon of the crumbled potato, Add about 1/2 a teaspoon of the sweet chutney and about 1/4 tsp of the cilantro mint chutney.
- Sprinkle Sev liberally over the puries & garnish with cilantro, the raw onion (if you prefer the taste of raw onion) & pomegranate pearls.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
It's a little Spanish, a little Italian, and a lot wonderful
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Life's better with snacks.
Meet beaver tails.
A better basket.