If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: South Africa is a melting pot of cultures that has resulted in a vast and delicious array of street foods. The Gatsby sandwich, traditionally a Cape Town specialty, is said to havebeen created by the proprietor of a local fast food deli (more specifically a fish and chips shop ) in 1976. The story goes that he needed to feed a group of day laborers who had done some work for him but he had run out of fish. So he filled a round Portuguese loaf with what he had: chips (thick french fries) fried bologna and achar ( an Indian curried pickle ). The Great Gatsby had recently played to enthusiastic crowds at the local cinema and hence the sandwich was crowned a Gatsby smash. Today the sandwich has evolved and is more commonly filled with fried fish, calamari, chicken or steak. But if not filled with fries and a spicy sauce , is not considered a true Gatsby . - foodfanatic
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, flattened
- salt and freshly ground pepper , to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- garlic clove, chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and choppped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- baguette, sliced open lengthways
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or chilli sauce of your choice
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into thick fries and fried
- 10 thin slices of mozzarella
- 1/4 cup baby salad leaves
- Season the chicken and put in a bowl with lemon juice,garlic,chilli , oil and thyme and toss well to coat.
- Heat a grill pan and grill the chicken until cooked through . Remove from the pan and slice.
- Butter the baguette and spread with the mayonnaise/ Sriracha mixture.
- Lay the chicken slices on top of the mayonnaise.
- Add the fries, mozzarella and salad to the baguette. Slice and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
Good day, sunshine.