If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Growing up, holidays with my mother's side of the family were always filled with a variety of non-traditional foods like Picadillo (Cuban), Shoofly Pie (Pennsylvania Dutch), a family recipe for Pepper & Crouton Salad, and then there were Finnish Buns. So about 2 years after going gluten free I finally ventured into adapting the recipe.
I make mine with a lemon cream cheese filling, but traditionally my family has always made a meat filling as well. So get creative! —AdinaM
Makes 15 buns
For the Buns
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm almond milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 630 grams all-purpose gluten free flour mix
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 egg yolks
For the Filling
- 5 ounces goat's milk cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 small lemons, rinds grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast with warm water. Whisk together and let sit for a couple of minutes.
- Add the almond milk, salt, and 1/4 cup sugar to the large bowl and whisk together. Beat the 2 eggs together in a small bowl, and add to the large bowl. Whisking all the contents together.
- Add 280 grams of the gluten free flour mix to the large bowl and whisk until smooth. Next, add the butter and whisk until smooth.
- Add the remaining gluten free flour mix, 350 grams, to the large bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon until well combined. (This part may require some muscle!)
- Cover the large bowl with a light kitchen towl and let sit in a warm place for an hour and half to let rise.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/3 cup sugar, grated lemon rind, and lemond juice. Whisk together until smooth.
- Line two or three large cookie sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- After the rise time, pinch off two inch sized balls of dough, roll in your palms to make a ball, and place on the cookie sheets, at least 3 inches apart. Cover the cookie sheets with a light kitchen towel and let site in a warm place for 15 minutes to rise.
- After the rise time, uncover the cookie sheets and flatten the dough balls to about an inch and half in height. Cover the sheets with towls again and let sit in a warm place for 15 minutes to rise.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the two egg yolks.
- After the rise time, uncover the cookie sheets and make a small well, about the size of 4 finger tips, in the dough balls. Brush the tops with the egg yolks and fill the well with the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the edges have just begun to brown.
- Let cool on wire racks for about 10-15 minutes before enjoying!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good
Recipe of the Day
Corn, squash, cheese, done
Recipe of the Day
Show us your best vegan recipe.
We've got the summer blues.
Your new favorite Japanese dish.
A better basket.