If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my great aunty Maria's cannelloni ~ a recipe that has made its way from Italy to our Australian kitchen, and recently re-created to be gluten-free. - KateAlice.
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- a few tablespoons of water may be needed to thin the mixture as you go
Filling and sauce
- 1 tub Ricotta cheese (around 375g)
- 2 cups frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese, something strong like pecorino or parmesan
- 1 liter jar of good Italian tomato sauce, plain
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 3/4 cup light pouring/single cream
- To make the crepes: heat a frying pan on medium heat and lightly brush some oil on the pan. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Cook one crepe at a time, using around 3 tablespoons of mixture per crepe. *nb: a few tablespoons of water may be needed if the mixture is a bit too thick-it should be fairly runny. It should make around 15 crepes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Have a large oven dish ready. To prepare the filling: strain the spinach by wrapping it in a dish cloth or paper towel and squeeze as much water out as possible. Put the spinach in a large bowl. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add the egg to the spinach, followed by the ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese. Stir well to combine.
- For the sauce: pour the tomato sauce into a large bowl. Add the basil leaves and herb mix. Stir. Pour half the tomato sauce into your oven dish and spread it across the entire surface. Add half of the cream and spread it over the sauce.
- Fill each crepe with around 2 tablespoons of the spinach and ricotta mixture. Place each crepe into the oven dish. It’s fine to layer them on top of each other-just make sure each is coated in sauce and cream. Once you have filled all the crepes and put them into the dish, pour the remainder of the sauce and cream over the crepes, ensuring they are well covered.
- Place the dish in the oven and cook for 40 minutes. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes. Dust with grated parmesan if desired, and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good